Come and Try
A Come and Try event is an opportunity for clubs to promote rowing within their communities, reaching out to those interested to introduce their programs and demonstrate the first steps of the sport. To host a Come and Try event, clubs will register their events two weeks in advance and submit a payment of $50 ($75 as of April 1, 2019) to receive insurance coverage for all participants. With the single fee, clubs can host as many participants at an event as attend. These events are subsidized by RCA to help clubs promote our sport to new participants.
Register for your Come and Try event here.
What is a Come and Try event?
A Come and Try event is a promotional event hosted by a club or an association where first-time participants are invited to try rowing in a supervised and safe setting. Come and Try events are:
- Promoted by clubs and associations to attract new people to our sport
- Usually 1 – 3 hours in duration
- Supervised by certified coaches
- Not races, regattas or training camps
- Free to all participants
How do I Apply to host a Come and Try Event?
- Go to https://membership.rowingcanada.org/
- Log into your Club or Association account
- From your MY ACCOUNT page, mouse over the “+ Propose Event” tab and select “Come and Try” from the list
- Complete all the fields and check the appropriate boxes. Note that some of the fields and boxes are mandatory
- When you are done, click “Submit”
- If you aren’t ready to submit the form, you can always “Save” it and return to it later
- Once your event has been approved by RCA, you will be notified and sent an invoice for *$50. Note that this $50 is non-refundable. $75.00 as of April 1, 2019.
A signed waiver form should be signed by all Come and Try participants. A sample waiver form is available here but members are advised to seek their own legal advice when considering the use of a waiver.
RCA Insurance Coverage for Registered Members and Participants, including Come and Try participants includes liability insurance coverage (up to $10 million per occurrence with a $500 deductible) and, individual sport accident insurance.
For information on specific coverages, please review the Risk Management and Insurance information on the RCA website.
Event applications must be approved by RCA in advance. Any exceptions to the above guidelines may be approved by the RCA CEO.
For further information, please contact RCA at email@example.com.