RCA Events - Hosting and Bidding
2016 - 2018 National Rowing Championships - Canada Cup Regatta
Bids to Host 2016-18 RCA National Rowing Championships - Canada Cup Regatta Now Being Accepted from RCA Members
Over the past year the RCA National Events Strategy Working Group has considered ways to build on the success of the National Rowing Championships and to increase the opportunities for provincial level athletes to compete at the national level and, at the same time for national level athletes to re-connect with their home clubs. After much deliberation and consultation, the Group has recommended the National Rowing Championships continue as is with some modifications and that a new regatta be added to the NRC weekend programme – the Canada Cup Regatta. Here is a summary of the main changes to the NRC and the creation of the Canada Cup Regatta, that have been approved by the Board of Directors and supported by the Provincial Advisory Council:
National Rowing Championships
- New fixture date: the last full weekend of September (Thursday to Saturday) to allow more provinces to participate, more university athletes to compete and improve the chances of holding the event in better weather
- Senior national team athletes train out of their home club (after the world champs) and compete for their home province
- The first round of competition for all seven able bodied events will be a time trial
- An Athlete and Coach Recognition Event (dinner) will take place on the Saturday evening
Canada Cup Regatta
To be held the Sunday after the NRC Saturday finals to promote intra-regional competition and encourage the provinces to develop Canada Games athletes and coaches earlier on
- Senior national team athletes race for their province with their provincial counterparts in large and small boats
- Canada Games age specific quadruple sculls events held to develop Canada Games teams
- Canada Games events to be coached by coaches on track to be Games eligible coaching staff
- All Canada Cup winners (including Canada Games events) to be determined over the combined result of a 2000 m race followed by a 500 m race.
2016-2018 NRC-CC Hosting & Bid Guidelines
Rowing Canada Aviron is now accepting bids from organizations within the Membership to host the 2016, 2017 and 2018 NRC-CC regattas. We are asking that potential Organizing Committees bid to host the regattas for a minimum of three consecutive years (maximum of 5 years) to enable the development of a more sustainable, premiere event.
Details on the hosting requirements for the NRC-CC and bid application process can be found in the following document links:
The closing date for bids is September 30, 2015.
We encourage all clubs and rowing organizations that have the technical infrastructure and hosting experience as outlined to seriously consider putting together a bid to host these two regattas.
Questions on the technical aspects of hosting or bidding on the regattas, or the Technical Package, may be directed to the RCA office: 1 877 722 4769; email@example.com. We look forward to seeing crews compete in St. Catharines this fall at the 10th Annual National Rowing Championships and to receiving bids from across the country to host this great regatta and the new Canada Cup regatta in 2016 and beyond.