In January 2017, Rowing Canada Aviron (RCA) members voted in favour of a major shift in its Membership Model. These changes took effect on April 1st, 2018.
During the 2018 regatta season, we faced exceptional challenges that did not meet the needs of our community. One of the challenges was related to the new RegattaCentral NextGeneration (NG) platform launched in 2018. This platform only supports Canadian events, while other nations operate on the Legacy platform. RegattaCentral’s original intention was to develop the NG platform to be inclusive of all events they serve. RegattaCentral is no longer intending to migrate other events onto the NG Platform thus, after extensive review, it has established that the Legacy platform will be used for future Canadian events.
“After receiving valuable feedback from coaches, administrators and users we recommend and concur with those who provided feedback that RCA and the Canadian rowing community is best served on the ‘legacy’ platform rather than the NG platform. A great deal was learned as a result of the NG launch. Those insights, along with some of the new technology, will be beneficial in the months and years ahead as we enhance the legacy platform many are familiar with over the years.”
-Steve Lopez - RegattaCentral
Events taking place from April 1st, 2019 onwards will now be hosted on the RegattaCentral Legacy platform.
Key Details and Important Dates
- Development of the Legacy platform to include the features specific to Canadian events is currently underway with development costs being covered by RegattaCentral. Testing of these features is scheduled for early February 2019.
- Recent updates to the NG platform (event certification, finance reports, etc) will be available on the Legacy platform.
- RegattaCentral will ensure that entry data from 2018 will be accessible to Canadian events. All 2018 events will be copied to the Legacy platform.
- Events taking place from April 1st, 2019 onwards will be on the Legacy platform. Regatta organizers can start to build their event on the Legacy platform after February 15th, 2019.
- Events scheduled from now until April 1st, 2019 have the option of remaining on the NG platform or using the Legacy platform. Use of the Legacy platform during this period of time is contingent on an agreement with RCA and when applicable, the PRA, related to the collection of seat fees. Please note that regattas choosing this interim option will need to make all seat fees inclusive of their entry fees and also remit seat fees to their PRA and RCA directly.
- Training on how to set up an event on the Legacy platform will be provided, as well as ongoing periodic training specific to Canadian events.
- Learn more about this update at the RCA National Conference during the Member Update. For those who are not able to attend the conference in person, a communication will be released shortly after with any new details and important information.
- Regatta organizers, from now until April 1st, 2019 who want to migrate their event to the Legacy platform now, should connect with Jennifer Fitzpatrick.
Regatta organizers can now register for training on the Legacy platform.
The first session, offered Saturday February 16th, 2019, is open to all RegattaCentral users. Session descriptions and registration information is found online.
A training session specific to Canadian events is scheduled for Wednesday, February 20th at 4pm PDT. This session is designed for Regatta Organizers new to the RegattaCentral Legacy Platform. Register online here.
We would like to thank the membership for their patience and cooperation during this time of transition. We look forward to sharing highlight 2018 data drawn from the new membership model at the RCA National Conference.
For questions or comments, please contact Jennifer Fitzpatrick.