The International Rowing Federation (FISA) is pleased to announce in partnership with Rowing Canada Aviron (RCA) the 2017 World Rowing Coaches Conference and RCA National Conference. The joint conference will be held in Vancouver from January 26 to 28, 2017.
For full details and conference schedule, please see the Conference website. The registration website will be updated as details are confirmed. Delegates who wish to book hotel rooms along with their registration must confirm their attendance before January 5, 2017.
A highlight of the two-day Conference is the Coaches in the Spotlight session, a fantastic panel of international coaches assembled to present on their best practices and teaching. The panel includes:
- Jurgen Grobler, chief coach of Great Britain’s men's program
- He has led the program to an Olympic gold medal at seven consecutive Games. Most recently, Grobler led the British men's four and men's eight to gold medals at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
- Jutta Lau, chief coach of China’s women’s sculling program
- She was a gold medallist for East Germany in the women's quadruple sculls at the 1980 Olympic Games. Lau went on be the women's sculling coach for Germany where her crews won multiple World Championships and Olympic medals. With China, Lau has won medals at both the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games.
- Nikola Bralic, High Performance Director of the Croatian Rowing Federation
- He is the coach of the Sinkovic brothers, 2016 Olympic gold medallists in the men's double sculls and Damir Martin, 2016 silver medallist in the men's single sculls. Bralic also coached the Croatian men's quadruple sculls to a silver medal at the 2012 London Games.
In addition, a practical coaching workshop day has been added to the program. Workshops on basic and advanced rigging, blade maintenance, boat repair and maintenance will be held on Thursday, January 26 at an additional cost.
The conference will also include the World Rowing Gala Dinner on Saturday, January 28, to honour the Coach of the Year and the Female, Male and Para Crews of the Year, along with the presentation of the Distinguished Service Award. RCA will also host their 36th Annual Awards Banquet, celebrating the year in Canadian rowing and recognizing members of the rowing community for their outstanding contributions.
For inquiries regarding the 2017 Conference, please contact Lauren Nutt.